Tuning in to Kids™ is a parenting program that helps children learn to understand and regulate their emotions. Previous research has found that parenting styles can influence a child’s emotional intelligence. Emotional intelligence is the ability to understand and control your emotions, as well as being able to communicate to others about how you feel. Children with good emotional intelligence often have better emotional, social, and physical functioning, as well as fewer behavioural difficulties.
Tuning in to Kids™ is a parenting program that aims to give you helpful ways of teaching your child the skills of emotional intelligence. The program teaches you about how you, as a parent, can help your child develop good emotional skills. It teaches parents:
- awareness and regulation of their own emotions
- awareness of their children’s emotions
- to use children’s emotional experiences as an opportunity for closeness and teaching
- skills in assisting children to verbally label and manage their emotions
- skills in assisting children in problem solving
- to guide children’s behaviour with appropriate limits
Tuning in to KidsTM involves watching video material, group discussions and exercises, role plays, reading information, and home activities where you try out different ways of responding to your child’s emotions. Parents are encouraged to share experiences and ideas within the group and group leaders may use these as examples to explain and teach the skills of emotion coaching.
Runtime: Morning and evening sessions available from term 4 2016 – term 2 2018 (2hrs per week over 6 weeks).